A Personal Story

Submitted: April 20, 2000

Name: Lisa
Age: 34
Weight: 150 lbs
Pregnancy Test: Positive
Not successful with herbs

Please feel free to share my story and email address with others who may need the support. I think it would be of great benefit to women if you were to provide a private forum/message board. I found the site to be the most woman positive and empowering experience I have had in a very long time when it came to my body and what I can do for myself. I thank you more then you can know. Please let's do what we can to keep that alive!

Ok now on with it! I am a 34 year old married woman. My weight is 150 pounds. I am the mother of a 21/2 year old and I live in Ontario Canada. It is important to know that our health care is paid for and that we do not have abortion clinics (in my city at least),we go to a hospital.

The date of my last period Feb 8/00, my expected period March 8/00. I took a home pregnancy test March 12/00. When I told my husband I was pregnant he said "I think I am going to be sick." I knew that was not a good sign. We talked for many hours and both decided that we were not ready for another child at this time in our lives for a variety of reasons. I made a doctor's appointment March 16/00 and another pregnancy test showed positive.

I told the doctor (a woman, thank goodness), that I would not be following through with the pregnancy. She asked me some questions and tried to make me more comfortable with what my next steps would be. She performed a physical and found that my uterus was tilted so she was unable to determine exactly how far along I was which would depend on what kind of abortion procedure they would perform. This being the case she said unfortunately it was necessary for an ultrasound which was scheduled for March 24th/00. I came home from that doctor's appointment with a scheduled ultrasound appointment and a scheduled appointment for April 13/00 with the hospital that would perform the procedure. I was so very scared and felt alone. I believed that there must be something I could do on my own without medical invasion.

I wanted to take control of my own body and thought that herbs would be my way. I found your site at 1 am March 17th and read until 2:30am, crying and reveling in other women's experiences. I no longer felt alone. On March 17th (3am), I began taking Vit C(pure) 1000 mg and Dong Quai 450 mg every hour. After 4 days I stopped because of how sick I was. This however made me feel more depressed as though I had given up.

I waited two days then I began taking Black Cohosh 80 mg every 4 hours. After 2 days I again stopped. The symptoms I felt both times were racing heart, dizziness, nausea and excessive tiredness.

I then wrote to Sister Zeus and asked for some advise because I was going to make my final herbal step to take Pennyroyal. At this point I had gone for the ultrasound and knew that I was 6 1/2 wks pregnant. Sister Zeus gave me the advise which I already knew but did not want to admit and that was to stop taking the herbs.

So I waited hoping that "the little one" would heed my requests to leave my body before surgery was necessary. I dreaded the appointment with the hospital on April 12th because they told me it would be a 3 hour counselling session. I was able to go in 1 week earlier, so April 6th I went in prepared to FIGHT! Much to my surprise however it was a very positive experience. The female social worker was not there to talk me out of it but to be sure that no one was trying to pressure me either way and that I had support systems in place. I then went on to meet with a nurse who took blood etc and told me about how the procedure was to be done. I left feeling positive about what was going to happen.

On April 13, 2000 I had a clinical abortion done in a hospital with at least 10 other women going through the process the same morning. The actual procedure took about 5 mins and we all knew we were there for the same thing and it was ok. We were given a sedative also pain medication if you wanted, I chose none because it makes you sick. I felt approx 1 min of pain and then it was over. I went home within 1 1/2 hrs of the procedure.

I was slightly "stoned" all day mind you but I felt such relief that I cried a few tears and now I am joyous that my life can return to the normalcy I am used to. I will be using a better birth control method from now on. I am getting an I.U.D. put in the end of this month. My husband and I were lax with birth control because I am unable to take the pill. This is the first thing I will be doing differently! If I were to do anything else differently it would be to listen to my body and start taking the herbs went I thought "oh, you are pregnant", which was March 6th, two days before my period was due! I also would not have taken such high doses of the herbs thinking that that would make the process quicker or make it have a higher success rate.
More is not better

Thank you again Sister Zeus and to all the women who shared!

Return to Sharing our Wisdom

This site Copyright 1998 - 2007 by Sister Zeus